Sunday, August 25, 2013

The 2 Things Helping Me To Really Use My Filofax

In my last blog I wrote about how I am using the tons of extra calendar sheets for lists that lend themselves to blocks of info. My favorite being my grocery list and daily/weekly todo list. Believe it or not, I am still doing this and lovin’ it!

But now, a new (for me) fabulous idea!

I have really spent a lot of time in the past few weeks thinking what about my FF isn’t working. Why do I still have post-its and notes scribbled elsewhere? Like when I have to jot down just a quick note...“did they make the Osterley in mini?” (apparently not) or “what was that Tree Hut Body Wash flavor that I loved?” (Almond Honey).  You know, those random things that come to you, that you want to remember to do, but they don’t really belong in with your other lists or notes…aka Capture Pages.

Now, I had my capture pages all set up at the front of my FF, all pristine, just waiting for me to dirty them up with scribbles and cross-outs. But the paper was just too nice. Seemed wasteful to use it for these kinds of things that I would just toss. Then I tried the old calendar pages and those worked ok, but the blocks that work so well for my shopping list...not so much here. “So genius, what did you use before FF?”

Used paper from the copier. That’s right, people. Something that I have been doing for years and was still doing but it wasn’t part of my FF system. I have tons of this stuff at home and work. One side is blank so my preferred way of using this is just to fold it in half...so the 2 outsides are blank and whatever was printed on it is on the inside. In the US the “standard” is letter size 8 ½” x 11”, so folded in half it is (ugh, math) 8 ½’ x 5 ½”. I used this as my go-to for years. Fits nicely in my handbag. And I like the texture for writing. I have a stack on my desk at work and in various drawers around my house. Whenever I need to scribble a quick note, this is what I grab.



I am sure you see where this is going. It only took me 7 months to make the leap. Instead of folding the used paper in half, cut it to size and use it as Capture Pages! I can’t tell you how excited I was about this.


It’s right at the front of my FF. I can scribble and cross out and write on an angle and write sloppy and mix all kinds of thoughts together. It doesn’t matter. Because it’s trash paper anyway. And once I either act on or move the notes to their appropriate section later, in the trash it goes. And it doesn’t cost me a penny.

These 2 things have completely changed the way I use my FF. I am actually using it now, all the time. Sure I was using the diary before and some of the other sections, but my grocery and daily todo and my “notes to self” were still on random sheets outside of my Filofax.

Can you hear the angels singing?






6 comments:

  1. They are singing so loud :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I am not even close to having "The Filofax Project" done, I am getting there. I so want to be one of those people posting on Philofaxy that has a system that works and no desire to change anything. Realistically tho, I doubt that will ever happen. Unless I stop reading blogs and watching videos! Plus what would I do with all that time that I waste changing things around every other day?!

      Delete
  2. I love the big leaps that make you smack your forehead. Duh! Glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't believe it took me this long to figure out something that was right in front of me the whole time! But at least I finally did and I am so glad.

      Delete
  3. A Mini Osterley would be SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is you? You are the one who PRAISED that young lady who does the RV camping, when she made the mean video about me using the sh-word? I can't believe this! Here you seem so nice and sweet on your blog, and yet you praise that RV woman for using profanity after I spoke up against profanity?? What example are you setting?
    I love planners and Filofaxes too, I have several Filofaxes and love to watch planner videos, and I would think that you as a planner lady would be on my side and agree that we shouldjn't use profanity, and instead, you praise that RV woman who makes a mean video about me??

    Aimless Allee
    Funny stuff! Will you be doing a tour of your rig?

    cindybin2001
    I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU COMPLIMENTED HER! Why didn't you SCOLD her for using profanity? What is wrong with you Internet women?? We will NEVER get guys to respect women and understand that a gentleman shouldn't swear in front of a lady, as long as ladies use bad language or think nothing is wrong with it! Nobody should swear! But all the guys will see videos like this and comments like yours, and feel like they HAVE to swear for fear of being called a sissy! Is that what you want? And what type of guy is a young lady going to attract if she swears or thinks nothing is wrong with it? Don't you women want to marry a NICE guy? Someone who will be a good father to your children someday? Aren't you worth that? Think of your future! And Heavenly Father doesn't want us using such language! I can't believe you are praising her! Why didn't you give her thumbs down??? What example are you women setting?

    ReplyDelete